Wednesday, March 01, 2006

After a rough weekend of business travel where there was little time for any training, I am back on my schedule.
I had anticipated this weekend trip to Kamloops for a couple of weeks, so I tried to structure my training schedule around it. So, I rode on Friday instead of Saturday and had planned to do a run on Sunday. The run never happened, so instead I received 2 days of no exercise. I have to admit, that drove me somewhat nuts. It felt good to get on the bike trainer on Monday and just spin out a 50 minute workout, and then hit the gym for boxing. By the end of Monday night I realized that those two days off were more mental than physical, as I felt great and actually was able to compete a little harder with the extra energy. The moral of the story? Take a day off every once and a while and recharge.
So far, Friday's are my non-exercise days. Which isn't to say I do nothing... I just simply am supposed to take that day to recover and not do any running, biking or swimming. I have been taking a yoga class on Fridays every so often which I think is a perfect way to relax, stretch out and mentally focus on other things.
Now comes the ultimate "sacrifice" for me... Going to bed earlier... I am, by habit, a nocturnal night owl. I have trouble going to bed before 11pm most nights, but as the training goes further and further I know I will need to. It means sacrificing my Daily Show fix each night unless I can get one of those DVD recorders so that I can watch it in the morning or something... I wonder if that can be considered an Ironman expense?
That's it for today. I have a spin workout tonight and then it is off to bed at...... well, I'll try for 10:30pm.

No comments: