Thursday, March 23, 2006

T-minus 157 days and counting... That's 22 weeks + change!

I managed to get out for that swim on Thursday at 9:30pm... After watching the hockey game with my brother and having a pint of beer, I was definitely thinking that the evening was over. I was on my way home, and just thought over and over "I'll swim tomorrow, I'll swim tomorrow" in my head...
Then, I just decided that it was time to go to the pool. I will say that after a beer and being tired, this was not my greatest swim. Sometimes you just want to zone out and see if you can get into a rhythm, but I just couldn't. Plus, in UBC pool there is a light at the end of the lane that just fogs up everything, making it difficult to see what is in front of you as you approach it, so you have to be aware.
I finished my swim at 10:30pm or so, and then it REALLY was time to go home. Normally I spend a couple of wind-down hours responding to e-mails, creating new e-mails, getting on MSN and chatting with friends, etc. Not Tuesday, though. I was basically passed out before I walked into my bedroom.
I am resigned to the sacrifice of early nights now and making sure I get sleep. I know when I am unbalanced in this department because I start to feel a cold coming on, and I have been fighting it off for a couple of days. I'll tell you, this Cold FX is a miracle sometimes!

I now have two half Ironman races set up in preparation for the Ironman in August. I will be racing Victoria on June 18th and Osoyoos on July 9th. If I have a choice to race one and use the other as a training race, I will focus on Victoria as the "race", and Osoyoos as a preparation exercise (focus on pacing, nutrition, etc.).

With all this in mind, I have decided that Sunday night will be a budget-night. Really, the Ironman can wind up costing upwards of $10,000 for the year when you consider everything (and that's not even with a new bike). I have a five month window of time from now until the race where I have to consider how much this will be costing. Fortunately the races are paid for, and one night in Penticton already :)... This isn't cheap and I would consider a second job except that I can barely find any time right now as it is... Hmm, I think I need to go for my tax refund now!

No comments: