Thursday, April 27, 2006

This is a love affair...


I think I'm off the market...

No, I'm not married...

But my affair is with this ironman "thing"... It's a true relationship, built on some emotional connection, mutual understanding, compromise, and a common goal. The Ironman seeks to challenge me... and I seek to be challenged. There's the relationship.

It's taking time. Not just in training, but in "getting to" training, sleeping more, going out less, stretching longer, writing blogs, etc. The cost in time is getting upwards of 20 hours/week when I think of everything involved. There are some 3-4 hour evenings involved.

It's a monogomous affair. I don't have time for other activity anyway, but any activity I DO undertake has to have the added question "is this GOOD for Ironman or BAD for Ironman?" If it's good, I can do it... If it is bad, I can't.

It's high maintenance. As yesterday's post shows, this affair of mine is expensive...

It brings a smile to my face. Knowing I am doing this is a thrill, and also my heart is in it. I feel the pitfalls of a bad workout like a harsh word from a girl I love. Conversely, I am uplifted and my day is so much better after a really great training day or session. Hmm, I know this feeling. Thinking about it is energizing and makes me feel great about myself and who I am. My best relationships have all had that feeling. I love that feeling.

It is evolving. Every day, week and month I change, morph even, both physically and mentally. I am learning that my limits are those I set myself for, but in training and the desire to try just a little harder, I find that those limits are broken constantly. Ironman brings out the best in me and makes me want to keep going.

It is manifested in the physical, outward appearances. My clean bike, new running shoes, my team uniform, all that make me connect closer to Ironman and want to be a better athlete in order to make "her" proud.

It has its ups and downs, its lows and highs, and all the while I stick with it without fear of a breakup. I trust that Ironman will be there tomorrow, and the next day, so if I have a bad day today, I won't be abandoned tomorrow...

And I have a desire to win "her" heart over... And then to keep winning it over... With every hill and base training session, every lap of a pool, I am closer and closer to knowing the heart of Ironman...

Musings from a romantic :)! At least for today...

No comments: