Monday, April 17, 2006


Today I would like to congratulate all my friends who competed in the Boston Marathon today.

The Boston Marathon is kind of the ethereal "Mecca" of the marathon running world. I have had the privilege in life to have the athletic ability and commitment to qualify and run this historic race, and to watch as more and more of my friends head over to Beantown to complete the heralded course is inspiring.
All weekend I've been hearing about the Boston Marathon from a variety of outlets. On T.V., every mention of "Boston" also mentions the marathon. Even the sports news today showed the Red Sox finishing up their game and then announcing "we're going to watch the rest of the marathon".
Believe me, it is quite a sight. ESPN cameras are all over the finish line. There are jumbo flat screens supplied by Adidas or whomever that show commercials all day every day for the few days leading up to the race. It truly feels like the Super Bowl, and you can't help wondering what the rucus is all about.
Then you realize... This is for my race! It is one point in your life where you feel like you are one of the great athletes. This is your Super Bowl, your Stanley Cup, your Olympics... You have to work hard to get here, and then you have to contain your excitement in order to make sure you're focused enough to not embarrass yourself... Yes, it is possible to. Boston has seduced many a would-be runner into believing they can take this race on! There is a discipline to running the race that you either learn by experience... or by fate.
It is truly the "mecca" of the marathon... In three weeks I get a chance to qualify and go again, but if it doesn't happen in Vancouver I'll be going for it in October for sure. First thing's first, though: Ironman! And in Ironman, this "marathon" is just the final leg...
Congratulations my Boston-finishing friends! Enjoy the moment!

No comments: