Friday, May 05, 2006

The Race Plan...


I'm putting it in stone... Cementing the strategy for all to see... Putting my "cajones" on the table. It's:

The Plan for the Vancouver Marathon...

Here's how it goes... I have, basically, a goal of running the marathon on "tired legs". This means running the marathon the day after a "more-than-light-but-less-than-severe bike ride." I've downgraded my bike to a 60km-ish on Saturday morning.

Last night, we ran some 90-second "bursts" going at just slightly faster than my projected race pace for Sunday. So, I tried at roughly a 7 minute mile, getting my heart rate to about 160 steady for each burst. That sounds pretty high and, according to most common calculations, it is about 80% or more of my max heart rate. Having run long distance for a few years, however, I know that this is roughly the heart rate I can hold for a marathon. Actually, it is slightly higher, and during some 30k races I have actually managed to hold a heart rate of 175 or so the whole time.

Maybe I'll get around to trying to explain the science of this all sometime but I find that my explanations make for boring conversation... I'll just say that's the effort level I'll be going for.

So, my goal pace is about a 7:15/mile. This would mean I would finish the marathon in 3:10. That is, I would say, my "I've had an outstanding race" mark... Realistically, with my tired legs, I believe I can hold about a 7:30 pace/mile, which would put me in at 3:20 or so. Again, not anything to be disappointed with.

The question that has rolled around in my mind is how to begin. Discussing the matter with my coach, we decided to start out at around a 7:30 pace for the first 2 miles, and slowly break down to a 7:15/mile pace. And, based on my own knowledge of my body's response to endurance, this makes sense, if a 7:15 pace is in the cards. I tend to take about 20 minutes or so to really get "going", and my performance is better if I ease into it rather than get off to a blistering start.

With all this in mind, I should be at the halfway mark in about 1:35.

Now, as to other preparations. I'll be going for the bigger breakfast tomorrow morning before my bike ride, to give myself the optimal chance of having more energy at the end of the ride than necessary. I also plan on getting to bed early tonight if that is at ALL possible.

I want to get up early on Sunday morning and eat my bagel with peanut butter, a small yogurt cup, and a banana. Usually I find this is best about 2 1/2 hours before the race, as it gives me time to flush out some of it before the race. I don't tend to drink a ton of water on race day because a) I don't want to be peeing all the time and b) there is water on the course. Some people do forget this, and if I have had enough today and tomorrow, then I should be fine for Sunday. Same thing with food, really. I am not one for severe carbo-loading as I think the protein is more significant the days leading up to the race than the energy. That being said, tomorrow night (Saturday) I will have some pasta and a salad. But I tend to like to eat lighter the night before and then go to bed early.

Saturday, after the ride, I'd rather keep my plans simple and steady. I've done my "chores" for the week, and I really don't need to be doing anything on Saturday. I do intend to jump into the ocean for a little ice bath after my ride, in order to refresh my legs for the race. I like hot tubs, but I think that I'll save that for Sunday.

Otherwise it is just about getting mentally ready and keeping myself relaxed. I'm lucky to have supportive family and friends around me who will be kind enough to understand my aloofness for tonight and tomorrow. It's just my nature and my concentration just doesn't come down to earth at this point. I'm quite a dull date!

The race itself has Ultima drink, so I'll be drinking that every 2 miles and drinking a cup of water every other mile. A small cup is good just to get a little. My best races have involved me not slowing down to walk when I grab the water. I find keeping my legs going is better, although I will slow down enough to grab the drink.

I carry with me 3 clif shots in a small flask, to drink as needed. I tend to dump it at about the 30k mark if I haven't finished it.

I'm going to park around False Creek and jog across the Cambie Street Bridge in order to warm up. When I ran my fastest time in Kelowna in 2001, I jogged for about 10 minutes from the hotel to the start. I want to arrive around 6:30am so that I can relax, stretch, and try to chat with other runners who will be meeting up.

So, there's my best James Joyce-impression of my race plan in writing... I'll give a little post-race synopsis next week.

Good luck to all those who are running this weekend!

"Everything depends upon execution; having just a vision is no solution." – Stephen Sondheim

No comments: