Friday, June 16, 2006

Victoria Half Ironman (pt 1, the race plan)...

Here is the race plan for Victoria:

Swim: 1st couple of minutes, just move out with the craziness that comes with the start of any open water swim. It's nuts! The next 1k or so, just relax and get into a pace that is comfortable. At the last 1k, stretch it out and work hard. Kick a lot more near the end just to warm up the legs for the ride.
Time goal range: 36-44 minutes

In the transitions, apply suntan lotion and basically I plan to be ready for the bike, as I will where my whole race uniform during the swim. I will have my shoes on my bike (clipped in) and also will use elastic bands to attach them to the bike (so they are easier to move).

Bike ride: 1st 5-7 km I'll just try to relax and spin my way into a rhythm. Dean has advised me not to drink or eat anything until after this time, as it's better to be warmed up before starting into the food. After that I want to start stretching it out over the first lap (25 km approximately) and get into a speed. I should try to keep my heart rate in the 155 average range, and climb as necessary out of the saddle. The second lap will be an opportunity to pick up the speed a bit and work my legs, and the third will be similar to the second. On the last 10k stretch, I'll top up the fluids and start spinning in a slightly easier gear heading into transition to get the legs relaxed and give them some recovery.

Bike aim: 2:45-3:10

The run! This is a 2 loop (10k each) course which makes it easy to plot out pacing. I should be running around 165 bpm average after about 2 miles and just keep that through the first lap. After that, i can pick things up a bit and use the mile markers to time my miles, aiming to pick up the pace over the last 5k with whatever I have left.

Run goal: 1:35-1:50

Total goal: 4:56-5:44

Obviously, a faster times means more things have gone really well, but I have to be satisfied hitting each goal as best as possible. I am figuring a really good idea will be if I meet those bike goals. As I've said before, that's my weakest part, and getting anywhere in that goal would be great.

Of course, you have to plan for the fact that there is the possibility of a flat tire, or something else, so I'll need to re-evaluate if those situations come up. But, all in all, a fairly reasonable plan...
I leave for the ferry at 8:30am or so tomorrow, hoping to catch the 10am ferry over. I'm going to put in a 20 minute swim/bike and run when I get settled there just to stretch out the muscles a little.

A few of us will be watching the hockey game that night. That's pretty relaxing enough!

No comments: