Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Anything broken?

Yep.

Turns out the little “thumb jam” I experienced at the race is a fracture. Technically it is the base of the metacarpal bone on my thumb. If it had been a couple of millimeters lower, it would be a break of the scaphoid bone, which would be really bad news. So, now I am going to get it cast…

In taking a look at what is up now, I obviously have to re-adjust some training. I will be largely out of swimming for the next 3 weeks probably (if I am lucky)… So, I’ll have to look at some dryland alternatives in that regard. Running won’t be a problem, which is GREAT. Biking is the grey area right now. I am not sure what capability I will have. My thoughts are that easy riding will be possible and, once the cast is on, I’ll see what that allows me to do.

I have to say, though, that I think I am very lucky that this was not something more serious. The scaphoid bone, had it broken, would take months to heal, require pins and the like, and basically means my mobility would never really be the same. In this way, I am really just dealing with a bone in a finger which, if taken care of, will heal. It’s not great, but the Doctor says I definitely am getting the best case scenario of all the things it could have been. I also could have had a much worse crash and wound up with more serious injuries… As it stands now, I am just not shooting basketballs for a few weeks (I am left handed when shooting a basketball).

That’s today’s report. I’m waiting to talk to the coach about what is next for me but now some “adjustments” need to be made.

No comments: