Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What inspires me...

When I watch someone who has taken to running like a fish to water… That person who decided one day to give it a shot, and found a new passion that drives them to want to continue to run, and runs for the pure joy of it… That inspires me…

Passion is inspiring. Passion in others can be an epidemic. It is infectious to hang around a group of runners or triathletes after they finish a race, or a long workout. The ones who smile, happy with their effort and accomplishment, but also equally interested in sharing someone else’s experience and seeing their joy, are inspiring.

Watching a child finish their first triathlon and proudly wear their medal around their neck like they’ve just been initiated into adulthood… That is inspiring.

Watching a mom or a dad pick up their child as they approach the finish line… Very inspiring.

Seeing people overcome challenges inspires me. Whether it be illness, physical challenge, adversity, or whatever… Watching someone battle through with a positive attitude and a willingness to do what is necessary to achieve a goal. That is inspiring.

Watching a person who has struggled with weight loss or an image that they’ve carried their whole life that said “you’re not athletic” complete a marathon is worth more than any 1st place finish I could ever aim for.

It’s not a finishing time, or a bike split, or a fast marathon… It’s what you bring to the race that is inspiring. It’s your attitude, your power of self, dedication, determination, and the desire to do your best that makes you a star in my books. It's how you treat your fellow competitors, your supporters, the volunteers, your kids, and those around you that inspires me to want to be better all the same. It's how you treat the environment you race in - do you throw your garbage and water bottles away properly or toss them in the middle of no where for someone else to pick up someday (or not at all)? Do you feel the race is there to serve you, or are you there to contribute to the race, the community the race is in, the other competitors? If it's the latter, you're a great inspiration to me.

Volunteers inspire me...

I’m inspired by sportsmanship and genuine camaraderie, exhibited in many of those triathletes I know. Many of my triathlete and running friends see this as a community that supports each other, rather than a “winner-take-all there’s only so many accolades to be dished out” view. We’re here FOR each other, because without each other, there is no point in racing in the first place. It’s too lonely.

Triathletes and supporters who cheer each other on, bring their families to the race, congratulate each other and stick around until the last finisher crosses that line, they are the reason I keep trying and keep training. I would not be in this sport if it were different. If it was all about ME-ME-ME, I’d have quit after trying the first one. But I met people who showed me that this sport transcends age group placings and beating each other. There is healthy competition, for sure, but it’s healthy because both athletes push each other to succeed, then share a beer after and have genuine excitement about the other's accomplishment. I wouldn’t have pushed so hard during the Osoyoos race were it not for Michael, and afterwords it was just great to be able to share his great race with him. Knowing he’d bested me by 4-5 minutes, I was more happy that because he was there, I pushed myself to do my best.

15 years ago I said I wanted to do an Ironman before I turned 35. I will have done 2 before I turn 33, and 12 marathons (my goal was 1). The reason I have stuck with it is because of the people associated with the sport. Seeing someone finish their first marathon, or break the 4 hour mark for the first time, or finish a triathlon after learning how to swim, creates a spirit of accomplishment and human potential that is hard to stay away from. So I’ll keep competing, as long as the inspirations I mentioned keep showing up wherever I go. Thank you to all of you for being my inspiration.

No comments: