Friday, August 18, 2006

Day two of the comeback!

Today I stuck to the weights and some core work. I worked on the Bowflex to try to do some back stability exercises using my Fitball, and also working the stretch cords for some swimming drills. Thrilling, I know, but this is part training, part re-hab, and I was excited to actually be able to use the stretch cords properly tonight. My left shoulder was quite tight, probably the result of not having done the true swimming motion for 6 weeks. So, I did a few 1 minute sets and then took a rest.

All told, about a 50 minute workout. I feel pretty tired and I definitely feel it in my hand and left arm. I think that is understandable. I expect that it will be sore most of the week, so I have to juggle my rehab work with some adequate recovery, so that I can use it most effectively come race weekend. But I also know I can't just let it go, as I need it as functional as possible by next Sunday.

Tonight I am just resting at home, and I plan to get up around 4:30am-5am and eat breakfast, simulating my race experience. I also plan to tweak my nutrition slightly for the ride, opting for eating Clif Bars in the first half of the ride, and switching to Clif shots for the remainder. I am doing this as an experiment to see if my stomach reacts a little better later in the ride. Granted, we're only doing 100km (remind me of the fact I used the word "only" when 100km becomes my longest ride of the season one day) but it's worth checking on in my eyes.

Otherwise we're entering the final week, and I'm getting myself organized and ready. I found out I am getting a new Timex watch as part of the Ironcops team. So cool! Things like that are unnecessary, but they have a way of making you feel like a pro. I can't wait for this coming week and all the activity. It is going to be so much fun. Time to truly savour the moments ahead.

No comments: