Sunday, August 20, 2006

The only real limits that we have are those that we place on ourselves...

I think that racing any long distance requires a great deal of optimism, and a certain desire to push our limits. In watching the champions of our sport, Lisa Bentley, Lori Bowden, Natasha Badmann, Faris Al Sultan, etc. I notice they have a real zest for the sport and a real level of positive attitude that is difficult to fake.

Lisa Bentley, especially. I think she makes a point of being positive and, even though I am sure she has her bad days, she really does focus on "feeling good." I think that is a choice she makes, to be positive. Sometimes we think we're the victims of circumstance but, really, we all have a choice to be positive as much as we have the choice to focus on those things that bring us down.

But I think the choice to be positive is most important to being an endurance athlete. I have really tried to do this throughout my training, and I think, for the most part, that I have.

Pushing my limits to give 100% was my goal heading into this, and that's how I am approaching the next 7 days and race day. I really have no time goal in mind. I can't tell how long my swim will go as today, swimming my first 500 meters, I realized just how hard swimming feels right now, having had so much time off. My shoulders were tired quickly, and I didn't feel fluid. I imagine my week will improve this, so we'll have to see what happens, but ultimately I have to take the hand I have been dealt (literally) and take on the race in the best way I can. I'll be the best I can with a sore hand, the best swim I can put forward with little swim practice, and the best day I can have.

It really has become about more than just a time or something trivial. I honestly don't care about my time anymore. I just want to know I showed up.

It's going to be a fun week leading up...

No comments: