Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Post-Ironman planning...

I have begun thinking about "post-Ironman" activity and goals... I know, for some of us that's like looking beyond Christmas or looking too far ahead. Why not just focus on the next 18 days?

Simple, I need goals. I am a person who doesn't want this all to just end on the Monday after the event.

I need new challenges and adventures.

And I think one of my challenges is to create a balanced lifestyle, using Ironman challenges and other ultra-endurance activity as a vehicle to keep me at the high level of activity that I have realized is an essential part of my life. But other areas have definitely taken a passenger seat to this pursuit, and I am interested now in re-involving those areas into my life.

I still plan to continue racing and training at the Ironman level. I have already set my sights on the Osoyoos Half Ironman for next year, as I figure there is no better way to attack the race that broke my thumb than head on (and, this time, with a little slow down before the turns in town). I am also looking at doing the Stormy Ultramarathon next August. These are pretty fun challenges that I think will gear me up for another return to Ironman Canada 2008 as part of the Ironcops team again - they organize every 2 years and being a part of that team has been something I would like to do every two years. I'll be 34 that year.

Immediately after Ironman, I have a few days of R&R before I gear up for the Portland Marathon on October 1st. I wanted to do a fall marathon and I figured what better way than to get a new marathon course for fun.

I start a new job tomorrow that I'm really psyched about. I love starting down a new career path, although I hope I am not making a habit of "changing careers" too often. I believe, though, that when you find something that challenges you, gives you a sense of purpose, and supports the lifestyle that is important for you, then you stick with it as long as that works. I think I've started that with this new job, and I am looking forward to it. I've set up a little "reward" if I am successful at this job, as a lot of my salary is dependent on commission (or, at least, the ability to really be financially free)... At Christmas I will assess where I am at and, if I am doing well, I will sign up for the Great Floridian Triathlon in Florida for October, 2007. It's an iron-distance event and is quite well-run and organized as I understand it. It works perfectly in that I don't need to commit at all until I know I can afford it and know I have earned the right to go. A little "carrot" for me.

I also want to take some time and spend my fall and early winter in boxing training again. I will sit down after Ironman and figure out what I need to do. And, of course, I want to go snowboarding this winter, again dependant on some financial security. You gotta have a little "jack" to do all the things I love doing, and one thing I insist on, this year, is becoming more stable and paying off some old bills including my student loan.

I think the big point is trying to become more diverse. I love the focus of Ironman, but Ironman is one of those socially acceptable addictions that we sometimes need to put in context. Really, I use it because I feel great because of it, and I think that it's good to balance that out with other things. Relying on the "training drug" has a risk of losing it, and then you can get into trouble. Reliance is dependency.

And it's nice to think about, as I realize the Ironman will be with me again, and I'll be able to train for it, on my terms and in my way, as part of the Ironcops team, in 2008. I'm setting up some long-term investing, and some short-term investing, all interlaced so that I keep it interesting in the process.

18 days... Lots more thinking out loud for me between now and then.

No comments: