Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This week in recovery

I'm tapering... again...

I have the Portland Marathon this Sunday and I am just coming back to feeling recovered, only in time to taper again for the marathon. Now begs the question, "how should I approach this race?"

I have thought a lot about it, and gone back and forth between thinking about my pacing and running by heart rate. However, the "zen" part of me wants to simply run it and "find my pace" throughout the run. I am wondering what might happen if I leave the watch at the hotel and just run for the sake of running, trying my best to tune into how my body feels and completely release myself from timing and measuring devices... What kind of a run would that be?

Would it be worth the experience to simply let it all go and run the race my body wants to run? I think so. I've never done it before this way so why not?

This weekend I raced the Muddy Buddy with my brother, Steve. This is the second time we've done this race, and we came in 11th 2 years ago. This year.... 4th!!! We were the 4th overall team. Dubbed "The Epp Men" (taking after the X-Men), we made our presence felt out there. I think we should do this race again next year and call our selves "Epp Men 3, The Last Stand"... If Steve has a baby boy, how apt would that be?

The race is quite a fun little event. Essentially you leap frog over each other, switching between mountain bike and running in the North Vancouver trails, and finish off each leg with an obstacle. The final obstacle is a big mud pit that you jump into and work hard to get yourself dirty...

That's me up top and Steve on the bottom picture... How fun is that???

No comments: