Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Chatting with Deano

I begin with a meeting with my coach to discuss last year and set up for the new year. Dean and I are meeting up tomorrow and then heading out for a run.

I realize now it's mid-October. By no means are we in a mode of panic, but I understand that it is 10 1/2 months until Ironman. It seems like it all just ended and I was focusing on a blissful month of "unfocus"... Well, when you have a goal of pushing to your best race, there is no time to start like the present.

I read recently in the Triathlete magazine about how the new "champions" of Ironman will be found, and what the past ones have had in common. The common denominator is an infatigable work ethic and desire to win and compete. Also a rigorous base building discipline in the winter. I suppose it is that time for me. While I don't anticipate 5-6 hour rides in the next couple of months, or 20 mile runs, I think it's fair enough to say I need a consistency to my training that I can establish in the next couple of weeks. I need the discipline TO train and to train properly. And to pick benchmarks along the way to measure my progress. These could come in the form of a couple of 1/2 marathons or time trials to measure performance, or lactic threshold tests. I'll discuss this with Dean tomorrow.

I'll be honest, I'm ready. This is year 2 of the 3 year plan to get to Hawaii. I can admit that now. I built up a good base and now it's time to take this to the next level. I want to be qualifying for Hawaii by 2008, when I'll do it at Ironman Canada again.

I've started formulating a budget for myself for the year. I think that the first step to success in this is making sure I don't go overboard with new expenses. Having already thrown in a $2,400 expense on a new bike and wheels, I figure my big spending is done for the year. The Computrainer will have to wait. I can always steal some sessions with a couple of friends who have the setup at their place... May make me more sociable anyway.

A friend told me to sparingly use my new bike on the indoor trainer as it places excess stress on the frame. I'll have to check into this. It would be nice to do some workouts on the Cervelo but I don't plan to ride it in inclement weather.

No comments: