Saturday, October 28, 2006

In transition... Thoughts from the Preparation line.

Part of this continuing training is self-evaluation. I need to assess where I have come from and see what I did last year that can help me plan for this year. While I still have not really determined what my actual goals are for this year, I think knowing what I was able to accomplish last year will help me determine what I should expect or aim for this coming year.

First question we need to ask ourselves as we start the new season: Did I meet my goals?
Well, I did set myself a time goal of being faster than 4 years ago in Ironmon. I did not meet that goal. I went from a 12:16 to a 13:56. So, no to that goal.
I set a goal of being stronger on my bike. I'd say that was a definite "yes". Performance-wise, my race in Osoyoos proved that. I pulled out a sub-3 hour bike ride on what is arguably one of the tougher 1/2 Ironman courses. And, in Ironman, despite a 1 hour technical delay, I still managed a 6:30 bike split. But the real key is that I felt more comfortable on the bike than I have ever felt.
I set a goal of running the marathon portion. And I did not meet that goal.
I set a goal of completing the race. I DID meet that goal.
I set a goal of enjoying the whole experience, from training to Ironman. I DID meet that goal.

2nd question: Did I follow my training plan?
"Mostly". However, with the broken thumb, surgery, and various trips out of town, I was definitely not 100% into the training plan. I believe all those factors probably would have addressed some of the goals I had above.

Did I address my weaknesses?
Biking - absolutely. I am no longer looking at biking endurance as a weakness in my racing.
Swimming - fatique and efficiency. A 36 minute 1/2 IM time in Osoyoos showed me I had definitely improved in the year. I took it upon myself to take swim technique classes throughout the winter, and I made a point of practicing regularily.
Nutrition - better. I wouldn't say I fixed this issue.
Strategy - I developed a strategy and was sticking to it, although when things became unrailed, I definitely went with instinct instead of my head, and that may have hurt me later on.
The "X" factor - the determination, the will, the desire... I wanted to get that as I have seen it as a weakness in my previous racing. That final push to say "go for it"... I'd say this one is a work in progress....

Was I satisfied with my race results?
Amazingly, I am more happy with my race than the one 4 years ago. I had a lot more positives in terms of my performance, given all the hurdles I encountered. I know I did a great job given what I had available to me.
A 5:23 in Osoyoos is really my benchmark in terms of how far I realize I have come. I know I have it in me to put together a great race and that was, by far, my best race to date.

In evaluating last year, very generally, I can figure out the areas I will concentrate more on this year...

No comments: