Wednesday, December 06, 2006

33... and not a day older...

I think by now I have syphened away my audience due to my inactivity, but today brought on some overwhelming desire to get caught up with my "blogging" life. After reading several friends' blogs and answering some early work e-mails, I opened up the dashboard and decided it was time to start writing again...

So, where to begin? Well, I have added a new element to the dream of Kona in 2008. I am foregoing the real life and heading to... film school. That's right, after a few months of thoughts and trepidations over the "what do I do with my life" question, I have come to a decision that I have avoided off making over 10 years ago. Actually, about 14 years ago to be more precise.

So why now? Why at the brink of career-dom and the prospect of contented happiness would I make a radical switch and turn my professional life and personal life topsy-turvy? I guess I am not content at being "content". The truth of the matter is that I have been hinting at exploring a more artistic side of myself for a few years. About three years ago I started reading a book called, "The Artist's Way", which helped me renew my love of writing. Whether or not I am any GOOD at it is a matter of opinion, but as a result I've been building up writing practice for these many years.

And then, the Ironman bug hit again. Whether creativity inspired the Ironman or Ironman inspired my creativity, I'll leave that to continued exploration, but either way the two seem connected to each other. And, the final step is taking a leap of faith...

After taking a look at my RRSP's and inquiring into student loans, I realized that this is affordable and manageable, with a few sacrifices along the way... And this comes back to the Ironman... Since Ironman can cost a lot of money, I have to find ways to train, prepare, and be ready for a race in August, while limiting expenses.

The old adage holds true, then. Instead of investing in equipment, I need to invest in myself. I need to build a stronger, more flexible, and more aerodynamic body and frame. An investment that will pay off far more than a new biking helmet. So, the trick now becomes doing all things as are necessary to perform, and to let the equipment be the instruments of that performance, rather than the cause. Any skilled musician knows that the instrument is only worth the skill of the person who is using it.

I turn 33 years old today...

No comments: