Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Annual plan...

Last night I did a backbend for the first time. I was going through my Yoga DVD as I have been since I got the DVD last week, and decided to give that back bend a try. It's one of the last moves in the program, which I have also discovered is not 20 minutes long as I thought, but more like 30 minutes (a realization I had not had after my 6th run through)...
Anyway, I have never done one before, so I was pretty happy with this breakthrough.

I've broken down the year into the Base, Build, Race phases (and the Preparation phase, which I am in right now). My plan is build around a projected hour total of aout 500 hours between January and the end of August. That represents almost a 10% increase over last year's mileage. I have also broken it into two training segments, the first being the training to prepare for the Half Ironman in June, and the second being the training from June to August that will consist of the predominant Ironman training. By way of this approach, I feel I can manage my time appropriately, since all my run training will be at a half marathon training level between now and early June, leaving the only really "long" period as the bike ride.

By outlining the year and the hours I anticipate, I can now start to work backwards and figure out a monthly progression and specific workouts. I have also decided to use the first Base Phase of the year (January) to have sport specific training weeks. In other words, three of the four weeks will consist of one-sport specific training period. One week, swimming. One week, cycling. One week, running. Strength and flexibility training will still be a major component of the first phase of the base, with a change in the strength program towards more weight and less repetitions, maximizing the strength gains early in the season.

I have identified two primary limiters. The first is muscular endurance. This is best addressed through some tougher bike workouts early in the season, weight training, interval training, etc. The second is focus. I think this is best addressed also through the harder sessions, but also through some early season racing. I have signed up for the UBC triathlon, and plan on running a Half Marathon in either April or early May, and using the first 6 months to ride a little faster than I am comfortable with, run a little quicker with some intervals, and swim some hard 400's (a Lisa Bentley suggestion).

For now, here's the Annual breakdown:

January - Base #1 - Focus on Maximum Strength phase, stretching, 1 week swim focus, 1 week bike focus, 1 week run focus, 1 week recovery.

February - Base #2 - Stay in Maximum Strength phase, stretching, balanced focus on sports, but more interval and time trial based. 40k bike TT, 1/2 marathon time trial, 400's increase (swimming).

March - Base #3 - UBC Triathlon - Time trial (focus on mental aspect and strong finish on 10k). Transition to strength maintenance, continued flexibility focus. Longer invervals (but still hard).

April - Build #1 - Half Marathon in Gibsons or Mission on April 1st. Longer rides (80-100 miles), continue half marathon training. Strength Maintenance.

May - Build/Race prep - Penticton weekend (2nd weekend of May) includes first ride of Ironman course. Peaking phase built in as well towards Oliver Half Ironman on June 3rd.

June - Race 1st week. Transition 2nd week. Return to Base #2 for 2nd half of month.

July - Base #3 for 1st 2 weeks, recovery week, then Build into August.

August - build 1st 2 weeks, last two weeks are peak and race prep.


I will build in some monthly tests for each of the three disciplines. A 1000 meter time trial in the swim, for example, will be a January test.

Therein lies the plan...

Now I have the last phase of the Preparation phases, which is just about building consistency and frequency into the training. No mileage worries, just keep me moving!

No comments: