Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hi Friends,
I am involved in a fundraiser for the Ironcops for Cancer, a program started in Edmonton with the Edmonton Police Force in the late 90’s. The Cancer fundraiser raises money for the Canadian Cancer Society through a variety of promotions and drives around Canada.
I am on Team BC for this year, and I am going to be competing at Ironman Canada 2006 in Penticton, BC, on behalf of this team.
Personally, I have some family members who have recently been affected and, this weekend, on my way home from Kamloops, I found out my grandfather has been diagnosed with colon cancer. It is quite advanced and, very sadly, with his age and condition it may be decided that the treatment is more painful than the disease. So, my family is bracing for this.
My participation with Ironcops for Cancer follows my belief in using skills and talents that I have to do something good for the world. For those of you who have ever heard of the Ironman, you know it is a tough day of endurance test. It consists of a 3.8km swim in Okanagan Lake, a 180 km road bike, and a 42.2 km run (marathon), all in one day. Most folks take between 12-15 hours, with the elite athletes finishing in 9 hours or so.
It is my goal to finish this race in 10 hours or better. That is a monumental task for me in terms of where I am, but in discussing things with my triathlon coach he believes that, if my training is good and my day is good, this is a possibility.
I also have a fundraising goal of $5,000 by August. Unlike other such programs (Leukemia’s Team in Training, etc.) I do not receive any race entry fee or free trip as a result of my fundraising. I do receive some promotional items from our sponsors (Powerbar, Sugoi, Kintec Footwear, etc.).
I’m e-mailing you guys as my friends and family across Canada to collectively support this cause. I know most of us have many charitable causes already, but that’s why I am e-mailing so many people. With a large collective group, we could make a huge impact with little effort from everybody. Here’s how you can help:
1) Purchase Powerbar products from the Running Room and save the receipts. If you send me the receipts, the Ironcops gets 10% of all powerbar products purchased. Even if it’s one powerbar save it and send it to me (obviously pool it with others).
2) Visit and purchase your footwear at Kintec Footlabs. They are in BC only I believe so this is more of a local thing. Again, say you are buying because of Ironcops for Cancer and 10% of your purchase will be donated to the program.
3) I am selling running hats bearing the Cops for Cancer program for $25.00/piece. They come in blue or white, and also there is a visor version for $20. If you are interested in buying these let me know. Pictures of them will be posted. They make great athletic hats as they are breathable.

4) Support me in the Ironcops program by going to www.ironcopsbc.com and click on the Team Members section. You’ll see my mug there and you can click on my profile and then click on “Here’s how you can donate”. All donations over $20 receive a charitable tax receipt.

If any company can donate over $1,000.00, I will be able to get the logo on my team uniform AND we will be able to get a little publicity on the website for Ironcops. Not that this is a “get out of jail free” card J for you for donating to a police program J…

Also, if you will be in Penticton on August 27th, 2006 (Sunday) that is the day of the Ironman. We’ll have a special area for supporters of the program, and, of course, you can come and cheer me on J. You’ll never see me in a more wasted state after 10 hours of exercise in the hot Okanagan.

If you have any questions, let me know. And thanks for your support. For the Vancouver residents, we are having an exhibit at the Inuit Art Gallery in Gastown on March 17th (St. Patty’s Day). It is $10 for a ticket and you get a free glass of wine with that. It starts at 5:30pm. Your $10 will also be applied towards the purchase of a special print made especially for the Ironcops program that our feature artist Andy Everson.

Regards,
Anthony Epp
www.ironcopsbc.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog, Anthony. Now get out and train!

. said...

I will have to read the rest of your blog later.My son has done several ironman events in NZ. I completed three,what we called Iron man races in 1980's 21ks kayak
100kcycle on difficult course and 42 run. I was in my late 50's so have an idea what it is like See my cycle journal
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belmaduthy