Friday, February 17, 2006

The key to success in this sport is balance. You have to find ways to make sure that your non-Ironman life does not get strangled because of the long hours.

Realistically, I will begin spending about 15 hours a week training, probably by the end of the month. This could be even higher during the summer. Well, how do you maintain anything outside of that? Where is the energy to do anything else?

I find I am at my best when I am busy. When I am too sedentary, I tend to do even less. So, these days, I've added a series of other activities that, I believe, help balance out the rest of the training...I'm taking Spanish Classes on Wednesdays, training as a boxer on Mondays, doing yoga 2-3 times per week, and continuing volunteer work and travel.

Now, how can one add MORE physical activity to a 15 hour training schedule? Well, in some ways the boxing and yoga compliment my training, but also they are excellent releases from it. Yoga I see as the relaxing part of training. It is like sitting on the couch and relaxing only I am stretching out at the same time. After a couple of weeks of this I have seen a lot of benefits, both mentally and physically.
Boxing was a New Year's thought that has manifested itself into a passionate release for me. I truly enjoy it, and actually wish I could go more often. I enjoy the workout, which is not easy and definitely tiring, but I also enjoy the explosive energy and confidence that comes from learning quick, strong movements and footwork. When I started 1 1/2 months ago I couldn't even skip rope for more than 10 seconds and now I can go for a couple of minutes.
Both activities do build core strength, essential for Ironman... But, more importantly, they are NOT triathlon-centered. As much as you can be dedicated to something, you need to know that it is not the only thing in your life.
All of this has helped me become more focused and more determined, though, in my Ironman quest... I am starting to see greater possibilities and learning more and more about how to make the Ironman training a real part of my lifestyle through participating in these counter-activities. And THAT is the balance. By stepping back from the Ironman during these moments I am making the training something I come back to every day, but don't live for exclusively.
I am also building new relationships and friendships along the way. I find I am spending more time with a few people who really are part of this lifestyle. These people nurture and provide a safe haven to train, because we all share a common goal and purpose. I don't care if someone is faster or slower than me, because the point is not to race together, but to have a support group that understands each other.
I was part of a writing group once, and this was the same principle. We were obviously not all writing "together", the same story. We were writing our own material, but we'd come together weekly and share our experiences. The triathlon community can be that way too, if you find the right group of people with the right attitude. It's not about being the fastest in the group, it's about pushing and supporting each other, enabling each of us to get closer and closer to our potential.
I think that is the true value of a training group. The true value of being with people who truly do understand each other and accept each other, regardless of ability.
I am truly blessed with these friendships and associations. They are such a welcome by-product of this quest.

For this weekend, I am running the First Half Half Marathon... I consider it a baseline test of where I am at in my training, and I bought a new pair of runners for it. I know, that is basically breaking the cardinal rule of running shoe purchases... Don't buy new shoes for a race... Honestly I have no choice... After yesterday's mile repeats, I could feel my feet were pounding the pavement a little tougher than usual.
So, a light bike ride tomorrow, followed by a technical swim workout in the afternoon. That should be a good enough light workout for Sunday. Today I will try to go to yoga to relax for the race!
Happy training!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother A!

I am on your blog for the first time, and I must say, I enjoy it almost as much as I enjoy your company over cheesecake.

As much as I hate to be a know-it-all (OK, so I love it), the quote from your posting last week needs correcting. It should read:

'Argue for your limitations, and they are yours.'

The author is Richard Bach.

One of my favourites :-)

Love ya!

Rachel.