Monday, April 03, 2006

Life and training...

It was an interesting week last week. My grandfather passed away on Friday after a short battle with cancer. It was not completely unexpected but needless to say it has had an impact on me and my family.

Sometimes it is good to take a step away from the training and put it in perspective, and this past week I am taking that time to do so. It is not easy, but getting out for a run or a bike ride by myself has been a nice way to get away from the busy-ness for a bit and just be alone. I am very privileged to have this outlet to go to when I need it. While I enjoy the group and social aspects of triathlon and Ironman, I do recognize that it is a lonely sport to undertake. On race day you really are part of a collective but it's your own will and toughness that gets you through hours and hours on a bike and a run. Everybody else is really scenary.

Anyway, I didn't come up with any big revelations on my run this weekend, but it was nice to do my run in the woods and tune out the rest of the world for a couple of hours...

No comments: