Saturday, May 20, 2006

An epic ride

Today, training plans changed a little. What began as a planned 130km ride turned into a 165km ride... It was peer pressure, I tell you! I was with Dean and the Tri One club.
Actually, it was one of those days, where the weather cooperates enough, and time for a little adventure. It has made me wonder if I should bring my camera along with me sometimes on these rides. We rode through the Ft. Langley area and around the old horse farms.

The last three hours on the ride were a steady stream of uphills and rollers. Of course, my first thoughts at each hill were "oh not another one", but as they continued on, I started to change my thoughts, and consciously made myself say "this is good for training". My whole attitude changed, as did my effort level on the hills. So, thus endeth my first practice of mental training.

All told, with breaks, we were out there for almost eight hours. After the ride, I had a scheduled 10 minute brick workout, which means running post-bike. I actually was quite amazed at how good I felt. No, not "fresh legs" good, but definitely a lot better than I would have imagined. It's not a lot of running, but after a long bike ride, the period of time required to convert your legs from biking to running is about 10-20 minutes. After the 20 minute mark, you start to feel like a runner again.

There are epic days, and this was one of them. This is my longest ride since Ironman 2002. It is the first indication I have had that makes me feel like the Ironman is, again, within reach. In 2002 I got that confidence boost in July. This year, it's coming in May. I'll take the pay advance.

John Collins, one of the creators of the Ironman in Hawaii, says "You can quit at any time - if you don't you win."

I think our brains quit on us far before our bodies will. And I don't even think of a DNF as quitting. Sometimes you just cannot continue. But, in a race, you have the option of pushing a little harder or backing off. When we get into our survival mode, we tend to back off early. We pull up. I think the worst thing that can happen in life is to sell ourselves short on what we're capable of. I have stopped focusing on my time for Ironman. I have no idea what to expect from that day. I figure I have the ability to break 11 hours, and I also have the potential to break 10 hours. Actually, I feel as though I have limitless potential.

I'm training at a level now that, on a good day with no flats (knock on wood) should yield me a sub-11 performance. More importantly, I'd like to know that going in, that I have prepared for that result. But over the next few months, I'll break the race down into a few smaller pieces and determine my plan for each. If I execute the plan and don't accept not following the plan, the results will speak for themselves.

I think of being successful as being at peace, taking what happens, learning from it, and applying it to how you perform the next time. Putting ourselves into the position to win is being successful. And being true and authentic to those actions and activities that are in line with what we passionately believe we are meant to do. Not to get too narcissistic, but I am obviously quite fortunate to have the endurance and physical body to be able to run marathons, ride for hours, swim miles, and so on. I'm not the only one able to do this The fact of the matter is that there are those out there who are have far more skill right now than I do. But I know, too, that there is a small margin between what my body is capable of and what there's is. The differentiating part of the equation is their desire and commitment, and years of service. And, throughout this whole process, I realize that this is the most important factor. Desire and a willingness to do whatever is necessary to improve and excel, not including cheating (drugs, etc.), but that's a story for another day.

I've said before that their are a myriad of reasons not to do something, but when the compelling reasons to do something, like Ironman, or studying for a degree, or developing your family, override the easy reasons not to (I will lose my drinking nights with the boys, I will have to wake up early, etc.) then we do what we must and, to do any less, is letting ourselves down.

No comments: