Sunday, May 21, 2006

No more classes, no more books....


No more indoor swimming ------ and..... I 'got nothin' after that (I'm not singing in the shower either, which is where most of my lyrics are composed and tested).

It's official, summer is here. Yes, I checked the calendar and I know it is still May, but this weekend marks the opening of Kits Pool, Canada's longest pool, and it's outdoors. This is the unofficial kickoff for us Vancouver triathletes... When we put on sunscreen to go to the pool. Glorious!!

I'm stoked, and actually I am getting ready as we speak to head down for my baptism of the year. Kits pool is 137.5 metres long, which means it takes 7 3/4 lengths of swimming to complete a kilometer. But the nice thing is that you can just get into a rhythm with your strokes, and you're not doing endless "laps" anymore and trying to keep count.

One of my other breakthrough workouts in 2002 was a 5k swim in Kitsilano pool. That was, and remains, my longest continuous swim ever, but it really gave me the confidence to know that I could: a) finish the swim and b) finish it within the 2hr 20 minute cutoff time that exists at Ironman Canada.

So, this is like the dinner bell ringing. It's so nice to go down early in the morning, as the sun is just starting to warm up the day, and put in your swim workout before work.

By the way, my "90 minute run" this morning turned into a "78 minute run" with a few little sore spots. I jumped into the ocean after for a few minutes, because my legs are fried from yesterday's ride.

Don't quit on yourself!

No comments: