Sunday, May 28, 2006

Santa Barbara Day 5

These past few days I have been watching lots of bikers out on the road, getting in their miles, and have started to get antsy about getting on my bike. That is usually the sign of a good break, when you are itching to get going again. I have a strong feeling that, mentally, taking a few days away from the structured training schedule has been refreshing. I also know I need to get things going in a hurry when I get back. I’ve run more this week (more days) than usual, but I have only gone swimming twice aside from my race on Wednesday, and my last bike ride was Tuesday… Now a strong biking week is not just preferred, it’s pretty much necessary.

I played golf yesterday and, in all respects, I’d say it was just about the worst round I have ever played. I just didn’t feel “on”. I started just focusing on trying to make one good shot. When everything is going wrong, I think you have to get back to the basics, and just try to make that next “step” a good one. And realize that it doesn’t have to be perfect, or even outstanding. We just have to take the step and keep moving forward.

One thing I realize that I have been neglectful of is in the fundraising for the Ironcops. I am sitting at $1,000 right now in pledges, and I had set a goal of $5,000 before the Ironman. Well, Ironman is three months away so that makes the challenge that much tougher. I’ve got some work to do. I firmly believe I can hit the target, but it is going to require a little creativity on my part. I haven’t been one to get pledges by asking people. So, I’m going build some goals for friends and family, based around the Ironman. So, I need swim sponsors, bike sponsors, and run sponsors. In other words, sponsor my swim for a donation of $24 (2.4 miles), the bike for $112 (112 miles), or the run for $42.20 (42.2 km). Donate that to http://www.ironcopsbc.com/ and click on me as a team member to follow the instructions to the donation page. It’s all for a worthy cause and my purpose, of course, is just to help out and support the team that I am on, and the cause that we are fighting.

I often think that I am privileged to not have to deal with an illness or sickness that debilitates me or has given me a specific timeline to my life. It is fortuitous, but I also can’t take this for granted. It is funny because I believe, and tell people, that in order to truly train for the Ironman, you have to make sure your other priorities are in line and you’re at a stable point where you can train this way (and put in the money). However, I believe I am exactly the opposite. My career is undefined, I am not married nor do I have kids. The only thing, actually, that I DO have structure and stability in is in the athletic training. And maybe part of that is why I’m drawn to the sport. I like knowing I have something to work towards, that gives me a sense of purpose each day. And, by no means do I profess to be changing the world, but I also think that we all have passions and activities that make us come alive, and if we all did what made us come alive, we’d probably be a much happier world.

Of course, we all have responsibilities. I am no different in that I know that I have to take care of myself and look to the future. There could be a day when I can’t exercise the way I’d like, and the Ironman is not going to pay the rent or put food on the table. All this being said, I think the Ironman (I refer to the Ironman but really this applies to marathon running, ultrarunning, adventure racing, etc I am sure) takes care of some very basic emotional and spiritual needs in ways that other needs don’t. It’s a process, and it’s also a way to reconnect with yourself. There is very little fanfare involved except amongst our own community, and most of that is due to the fact that we support each other in our training and preparation. I like that. I like that there isn’t a lot of giant popularity out there. We’re on the fringe, and it means we get to create, for ourselves, the experience. I’ll never be Wayne Gretzky, but I’ll race and compete and train like a champion, because I have a feeling I know why he does it (or did it in his time).

Anyway, I’m on vacation so I’m just thinking out loud ;).

No comments: