Wednesday, May 31, 2006

To run... or not to run...

I went for a run early this morning...

Okay, no big deal.

I like going for runs though. Being off a training schedule for a week (the "flexibility" of vacation sometimes means you have to get your workouts in as available and in whatever capacity is possible, but doesn't really allow for "structure" all that much) I have been itching to get back to it. I got home late last night so I couldn't go for a scheduled run, so I awoke at 6am this morning and plumbed out a short 6 km before work down at the beach.

For me, getting a run in is the first step to getting back on track. Some go for a ride, or a swim, or a race (?), but for me it is a run. It's like coming to center again. "This makes sense" I repeat to myself. Plus, it's just plain easy to go for a run. Shoes, shirt, shorts and sometimes a watch depending on if i feel like it. Often, actually, I tend to run without a watch. This flies in the face of the "A"-type compulsive attitude, and I love it for that. For most of the runs in Vancouver, I have a rough idea of how long it should take, so I can usually time myself well enough to make sure I am not out longer than I need to be.

And there is something natural and free about throwing the watch away and just running. I think this attitude comes from the Chi Running course I took last year with Danny Dryer. If you haven't heard of this or seen the book, I recommend you check it out. The book is available at most bookstores but you can also go to www.chirunning.com and learn more. For "lifestyle" runners like me, this is almost a must read. You learn of a more effortless, efficient, ultimately faster, and importantly fun philosophy of running... Any aspersions or negative feelings I have ever had towards running disappeared with this book and course.

To top all this off, I've volunteered to teach the marathon clinic at the Denman Running Room this summer. I thought about it and I enjoy the experience of helping others run and run their first marathon, so I'm teaming up with the current instructors and we're going to co-instruct the clinic. I'm looking forward to this and I have figured out that it will work well with my training schedule. Plus, I think teaching others will help keep me focused on my own training...

Tomorrow is June 1st... That seems menacing right now. Just over 2 weeks until the Victoria Half Ironman, a key race indicator for me this summer as I get ready for Ironman in August.

Tonight I'm going to bust over to the North Shore (hopefully traffic will allow such a thing. I've already had to cut the drive and do loops of Stanley Park instead because of traffic) for a bike ride with the Tri One group. I sense that hills will be involved - it's the North Shore after all.

It is good to be back in town.

No comments: