Thursday, June 01, 2006

Exploring the world...

Yeah, I'll admit that my next few thoughts are jumping ahead of the game a little. After all, it's more important to focus on the time at hand. I have 3 months (actually, less) until the Ironman Canada. These are going to mean long training days and lots of dedication, and also some discipline in my mental training to keep focused and forward...

But, you gotta admit, going around the world, racing Ironmans in different countries, is a cool thing to try. I'm not going to pledge "every Ironman in the world I shall race", but I certainly wouldn't mind trying a few.

I've had my eye on Ironman Austria and Australia for quite some time. I don't know why, but those two hold the greatest pull for me. Australia is raced in late March, and Austria is in July.

I love the atmosphere surrounding Ironman Canada, and the friendships, community and enjoyment surrounding this event. I wouldn't trade that experience in for the hope that another race might be better, but I think the lure of adventure definitely guides most of my decisions. It would certainly be fun to try.

I do realize there are some obstacles, financial and career-wise, that need to be considered in thinking about these kind of things, but just putting the idea down on paper, I have a feeling that somehow I am going to find a way to seek out all that this sport has to offer, and continue my adventures somehow. Just putting it down on paper... Just a thought.

Back to reality:
I am finding that I am becoming a stronger and stronger cyclist, especially on hills. I have broken through that "pain barrier" of giving a last ditch effort at the crest of some high grade climbs, which was something that hadn't happened. It's definitely giving me some confidence on the bike... Again, it's all about making sure your bike at Ironman has as little effect on your run as possible, so I'm shooting for efficiency. This weekend I'll be in Oliver, BC, to volunteer for the Half Ironman. I'll have an opportunity to hit the 11km climb of Richter's Pass for the first time this year, and I'm eager to get to it. While Richter's pass is not THE killer part of the course, it is one of the defining parts. 11km of straight climbing at around the 60km mark of the race. It has the power to tire out the legs, making the rollers towards Keremeos, and the final climb to Yellow Lake, a struggle in survival.
I need to get in about 130km or so, and so this climb with be great in the middle of this ride. Rather than fear it as I once did, I'm excited and enthusiastic.

It's a far cry from where I used to be...

As for tonight, I have speedwork and a long swim in the outdoor pool. It's quite muggy out today, but it's warm and the signs of summer are making their presence known.

No comments: