Monday, June 12, 2006

It's only the beginning...

"The biggest difference in ultra endurance performance is learning the humility and patience required to play your best hand. The best athletes race from where their fitness is, rather than where they'd like it to be." - Gordo Byrn

I had to go away on a business trip this weekend to Lethbridge. As a result, I woke up early, got my rides and runs in, and made sure I made a semblance of effort to stick to the program as laid out. I enter this week with my first Half Ironman of the season looming large and approaching fast (actually, it is on Sunday).

So, with all this in mind you would think I was nervous about the race. Remarkably, though, I think I am fairly calm. I am trying to be focused and determined, but nervous is not the feeling anymore. I have no doubts about my ability this time around, more so I have to figure out just how hard I CAN push things. In the past few weeks I have learned that I can push about 5-10 beats per minute harder (in heart rate terms) on the bike and on the swim than I previously had tried to do. I think that has more to do with the fact that I accept the heart rate as a signal rather than my own brain, and am sticking to the results that the heart rate monitor has been giving me. For example, pushing a little harder on the tempo bike ride last Wednesday, I know full well I would have eased back, thinking I was around 80% effort, had I not had my heart rate monitor with me. By using that, I forced myself to ride a little harder to get to the zone I wanted, knowing that this was where I should be able to hold myself for the period of time required.

Until I train my brain to think the way my heart rate monitor does, I’ll stick to the HRM. It’s far more objective than my head (I should use it for other things J).

I was reading an interesting article by Gordo Byrn on the 3-4 year training cycle, and how we are somewhat ill-focused when we think in terms of “one year”. It confirms some of the recent thoughts I have had about where all this is heading, and I have come to a little conclusion in that I will definitely continue racing long distance after this year and not give myself too much of a break. Depending on my schedule (work or school) for next year I’ll decide what kind of racing, but I feel in order to truly see the long term benefits of the Ironman-“life”, one year is simply too short a time frame. I am making this decision now so as to avoid the typical post-race emotional decision-making I am prone to do… So, I will be training for SOMETHING next year, either Ironman, or something of equal value.

Anyway, back to this week… It’s the Victoria Half Ironman this weekend, and so I have somewhat of a taper week ahead. Tapering is really just taking your workload and condensing it so that your quality is the focus and not the quantity. And trying to make sure you are fresh come Sunday. So, 8 hours of sleep is the goal each night, and lots of water, and eating balanced, etc… I still have to wait to find out what my coach says the “taper week” will consist of training-wise…

No comments: