Thursday, June 08, 2006

So THAT's who that was...

The article I have set up a link to above is written by Linsey Pickell, who won the Oliver Half Ironman this weekend. As she points out in her article, she really came out of nowhere to win the race and also to set a course record. Her race account is there along with her thoughts on turning pro.

I have begun to notice the obvious… I should say, the obvious has started to hit home. In order to get better, you have to dedicate yourself to getting the job done. All great performances began with an unwavering dedication to the task and a hard work ethic to take you through the journey. There is no easy way to success. And there is almost always risk involved.


I talk about dreams a lot. Not dreams as in “I dreamt about this”, but dreams in terms of what I want to be or how I want my life to go. And what would be ideal for me. I have found myself throwing a “dream” out there and quickly suffocating it before I start thinking any further. Nowadays, I catch myself in that pattern. What is wrong with believing you are destined for more? Many of the finest people I know have risked greatly to achieve what they desired. My friend Vince, who recently qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon, is a good example of this. I’ve mentioned him before, but it bares repeating, because the single-minded pursuit of his goal to qualify for Boston became so focused that you just knew nothing would stand in his way. But I think that came not from simply setting a goal and achieving it, it came from an unwavering sense that he would do this, no matter what it took.

In Linsey’s article she talks about going pro and having that transition period from being just one of us folks, out there trying to finish our first Ironman, to someone who could compete and, eventually, win. It all came down to a belief in yourself. It’s taking a look inside and thinking “if I do enough, I will make it…” I think when you take the “could” out of it, and say “if I work hard enough, I WILL make it…” you leave yourself little alternative. It’s dramatic, it’s bold, and it’s just what we all need.

Most of the people I know who actually read this blog are training for something. So, I’ll say this, eliminate “could” and “maybe” from your daily language. It’s too passive. It’s too wishy washy. It’s time to decide are you “in” or “out”. If you’re “in”, then spend the next few days/weeks/months dedicating yourself to what it is you are training to accomplish.

As for me? I keep that sub-10 Ironman in site. It’s a lofty ambition, but I know I have it in me when I put the pieces together. Will it happen this year? I have a better chance now than I did 4 years ago. I have the swim and run to make it happen… Can I put that bike together at the right time and the right place? That’s what 2 ½ more months of training will teach me.

I realize for that goal to be achieved I need a solid and consistent bike riding ability, and I need solid base level endurance with an ability to kick it up. I know it’s a long shot for this Ironman coming up, but this race is where I take my consistency and put it into practice. Who knows where I will get, but I know that I’ll be closer than before. Gordo Byrn, in his book “Going Long”, suggests that a good mental technique is to live and train “like an Ironman”. Act like a winner, act like a competitor. Be gracious, and live to a standard, morally, ethically, and with your training be pure, committed, and in the moment. In other words, pretend you’re already there.

And that’s a good reason to have a blog, by the way…

“In my mind, I am an Ironman”… - me

I received some good news last night on my ride. We started out at the Burnaby Velodrome and rode intervals to Port Moody. The biggest breakthrough was my ability to maintain a “threshold” pace for 2 intervals of 22 minutes and 33 minutes. This doesn’t sound like much, but I have had that limiter (referring to something that held me back) for a while, and being able to really hold a heart rate for a long period. This felt good. I felt I could push and hold the pace for a longer period of time. As in running, the feeling of being able to push a little harder is so important, as it allows you to run your “endurance pace” knowing that you are holding back enough to get through the distance. In a ride of 180km (or a run of 42.2) if you feel you’re on the edge the whole time well, you’ll be toast.

Tonight is a swim… It’s pouring rain outside now so this will not be a fun day outdoors, but we have the swim at 2nd beach and then speedwork after that. And tomorrow, I have my first Sasamat Lake swim with the North Shore Triathlon Club… There is supposed to be a barbecue after but we’ll see how the weather goes.

“In my mind, I am an Ironman…”

No comments: