Sunday, July 23, 2006

120 minutes of suffering...


I think the title says it all... Yesterday I painstakingly threw the Cervelo on the trainer and began a 2 hour Spinervals DVD that can best be described as merciliess... I'll take a 5 hour ride in the sun over this pounding anyday...
It didn't help that I was at my cousin's wedding in Maple Ridge until 2am Friday night, arriving home just in time to grab 2 hours of shut-eye so that I could get up and watch Stage 20 of the Tour De France... I deduced that, given I was riding indoors anyway and "only" for two hours, I could risk sleeping after. That is all well and good except that the temperature by early afternoon, when I started my spin session, was about 35 degrees and barely any cooler indoors.
But who am I to complain? It was a great little session and, aside from staying in my aerobars the entire time (because I can't put weight on my left hand), I felt very strong at the end.

I am going to have to write a short essay, when all is said and done, about how to train for Ironman with a broken hand, because I really do think I'm beginning to figure this stuff out. I sat down with Paul today and went through the weight workout I'll be doing. A lot of it involves using a physio ball and a lot of balancing. In addition to that workout, I have felt great on all of my runs to date, including a 23k distance run this morning. I have learned that, as long as I keep my thumb above my elbow, I don't get any throbbing pain throughout the run. It must also be doing wonders for my shoulder too.

This following week I will be heading to Edmonton for the Lisa Bentley training camp, put on by the Ironcops team. I'm hoping she can give me some added tips and suggestions for the last 4 weeks of preparation. I can't believe it is 35 days until Ironman...

No comments: