Friday, July 21, 2006

Solutions refined...

My buddy Paul, a personal trainer who works with a rehabilitation/fitness clinic in Burnaby, has come up with a dryland training program for me to use for the next three weeks to not only keep my fitness up, but also improve my strength and core stability. This all so that, when I return to swimming, I am working on getting the mechanics back, but not the muscle endurance or strength.
He has also lent me one of his Spinervals CD’s which is called “120 minutes of Suffering”, for me to use on my trainer while I ride that stationary bike to its limits. He and I both agree that I have the base fitness to manage the Ironman, but that some good solid interval and fine tuning would do me wonders. I’m looking at an intensive 2 week cycle here, which will take me to 3 weeks before Ironman. I’ll have another one week peak period, and then begin to taper down as my cast comes off.
So all is going according to plan… Okay, maybe not so much, but I just finished reading the story of Clif Bar, which is a great business book about arriving at your business objectives by taking the roads less traveled. Sometimes you don’t get to choose to take the road less traveled, as it is necessitated out of a Detour sign due to road construction, or an accident… But, in the end, you get where you wanted to go, and you see some things you may never have seen had you taken the main road… I wonder if this is a sign that I should find a backroad up to Penticton instead of the Coquihalla or Crowsnest Highway?

“God made the desert so that man could find his soul…”

I don’t know where I found this quote, but somehow I like the way it sounds today.

No comments: