Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Injury thoughts...

We do everything we can sometimes to prevent injury, but the reality is that injuries are a part of sports… The triathlete is not immune from the potential for injury. I look at my broken thumb from yesterday and I am mulling over the meaning of what happened.

I realize that the reason my thumb broke was because of my overall aggressiveness on the corner of that turn. Now, I can argue forever that this was a calculated mistake, BUT, I also have to acknowledge that it was my aggressive riding that allowed me to keep the pace I was keeping, and that my effort was due to my desire to go for it, give my best performance, and know that I left it all on the course. In a literal sense, I very nearly did, but I really do feel good about the fact that it was my energy and my enthusiasm that led to the injury. My desire to compete came through, and I have to take that as a really good and solid lesson.

And it is reflected in a personal best performance and, in general, a continued burning desire to improve and compete again soon.

Of course I learned a little lesson too, and in future I’ll be much more conservative going around those corners. But it’s all part of the game, and if I didn’t want to risk the injury I’d best stay off the course…

No comments: