Friday, July 14, 2006

More news...

After a trip to the hand clinic today, I learned that I have a “Bennet’s Fracture” in my thumb. This basically means it is both dislocated and broken at the base… And it also means I will need to get surgery. I have to get the thumb “reset” and then have two pins put in to keep it in place. The doctor said that I could opt not to do this and just to let the fracture heal, but that may lead to a lot of future problems. So I’m biting the bullet and going for the surgery. I should get a call this weekend or early next week to schedule me in for a day surgery. Apparently it doesn’t take much, just a quick freeze of the arm and then they go in! But at my age and the fact that I live a fairly active lifestyle, it makes sense to go for the surgery and try as best as possible to avoid future problems.

The doctor says that, since I am training for Ironman, my swimming ability will probably be the most affected. It may or may not be possible. However, he was positive that the cast could be adapted to allow me to still train on the bike. I love it! When the doctor said “you should be able to bike still” I perked up and said “that’s all I needed to hear!”

Who knows what this will mean for my race goals? I have to focus on some very specific training over the next 4-5 weeks and come into Penticton in the best possible condition. I am lucky in that I have built up a good training base that I can continue for the most part.

So that’s the news! How did I react? I went and bought a new Giro bike helmet, as helmets should always be replaced after a crash, and started packing for my trip to Penticton this weekend. I’m going out to ride the Ironman course tomorrow with the Ironcops team (Edmonton and BC are in town) and with a BIG thumb cast on my left hand. I just hope someone can help me if I need a tire change!

“To travel hopefully is better than to arrive…” - Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments: