Monday, July 03, 2006

There has been a lot going on lately, and I've been trying to find some time to sit down at this computer and write something. I started to think about what to write, and then I caught one of my first instances of writer's block that I have encountered since I first started this blog back in February. Those of you who know me know that I am not one for a loss of words often, unless stumped by the compliments of a charming lady...

So, here I am, sitting at the computer, and trying desperately to figure out something of substance to share out there.

Then, I think.. It's a friggin "blog", for crying out loud. You're writing about Ironman and what do you have to say about it or what you're experiencing? It doesn't matter if you have nothing insightful or meaningful, it's just a way of sharing the experience, right?

So, this is the experience... Last week I had a few too many Canada Day celebrations which I wouldn't give up for the world but which have left me with some much lamented sleep deprivation... Add to this what has probably been one of my most intense 2 weeks of training so far from a mileage standpoint - probably upwards of 18 hours last week of training alone and this doesn't count the long run I am doing this morning because I couldn't get it in yesterday. And, amazingly enough, I was on a mini-vacation during the early part of last week. Last night I got my first eight hour sleep in a week so that has definitely helped the old brain get some much needed life back into it.

Head shaves... Canada Day parties... This year was made extra special because Lenka, a good friend of mine, got her landed immigrant status confirmed on Wednesday. On an aside I think it's wonderful to celebrate Canada Day a little with someone who is fighting hard just to become Canadian! It really makes you proud of being in this great country of ours... Let's always fight to keep it that way and keep it green (my politics of the day)!

In a nutshell, those of us training for Ironman Canada are in high gear. July is meat and potatoes month for Ironman training, and this is where the big stages of preparation start to take shape. We're building, building and building throughout the month.

I have to say it is a pleasure to train this hard. I don't know if I have ever put in the mileage or the intensity that I am doing now, and over such a consistent period of time. I almost look forward to every workout, every session, because I know it's an opportunity to learn something, try something, or just to get a little stronger. I don't remember if I had this same feeling back in 2002 at all, but now it's just a pleasure to get up in the morning, knowing I have a good set of workouts planned for the day. I've been hitting the gym a little more, stretching longer, and eating much better than ever.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the race is over the horizon now. It's within earshot and not some 'off in the distance' event that I thought about doing a while from now. It's here, it's now. In the next few weeks I'll do mileage that will be more than Ironman Distance every week (easily).

This week should be slightly easier because I have the Desert Half Ironman on the weekend. Wait a second... Scratch THAT! I'm racing this weekend. It won't be easier, it will be more intense. Just shorter and more focused training, that's all... About the only thing that's "easier" is the fact that I don't plan on doing a long bike ride on Saturday, but the long Half Ironman on Sunday will make up for that without a doubt.

Here's another aside... I have to recommend you check out my buddy Vince's blog for his recent thoughts on his battle with "pre-cancerous skin lesions". Cancer has become my "cause of the year" (well for a couple of years now) and Vince is right there with me (as the man responsible for my new Lex Luthor hair cut)... His blog address is: http://www.vanishingtattoo.blogspot.com/

Okay, I'm out for the day...

No comments: