Thursday, August 24, 2006

Penticton, day one... Postcards from the edge.

I have arrived in Penticton.

Dominique and I arrive around noon, well before I think either of us had expected. As well, the Bowmont Motel was not quite ready for us, so we waited around for about a half an hour while they cleaned the room so that we could get our stuff in. I was anxious to go for a swim as soon as possible.

As soon as we could, we grabbed our wetsuits and walked down to the Sicamous to go for a swim. I had to get a 2.5k swim in and Dominique only had to do 1.5, but she humoured me and swam the full 1k stretch from the Sicamous to the Peach (over by the Lakeshore Resort), and back. The water was really choppy this afternoon and so the swim had some extra difficulty to it. My hand felt okay, but it was definitely a matter of just keeping it moving, because as soon as I rested it for a minute, it started to feel sore... But, after finishing the 2k out-and-back, I sucked it up and added another 10 minutes, bringing my total to approximately 2.5k.

After the swim we raced down to the expo and got ourselves registered. It's like a ride at Disneyland, where you stand in one line to get to another line to get to another line, etc.

After all was said and done, racer #390 is registered and ready to race. I am now sitting on my balcony as we get wireless internet here, and about to go for a run...

"There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self." - Hindu proverb

No comments: