Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Postcards from the mind of a guy tapering for Ironman...

Wednesday... T-minus 11 days...

I'm halfway through my first full week of a new job, and the biggest things are yet to surface. This whole "work at 7am" thing is actually helping me get used to a 4:30-5am wakeup AND forcing me to hit the sack earlier... Who knew a job could be good for training :)?

It feels as though Ironman should be further away than it is, and yet in eight days I'll be driving up to Penticton. I'm excited. More than that, I'm feeling as good as I've felt all month. I'm getting over some of the frustration with the cast and spending more and more time zenning out and living in the moment, trying to savour every thought and reflection I find myself drawn to. A lot is repetitive - the usual thoughts of being fortunate, feeling healthy, seeing the start line as the symbol of a year's ambition and dedication - but occasionally I find a new "aha" moment to fill my head with.

I'm hitting it now... Confidence. And I'm not talking about egocentric "I'm great" confidence that needs public announcement, but more a quiet calm and self-assurance that simply says "you are deserving of good". I feel as though the no-quit focus I've been able to build this year has made for natural transitions in everyday life. As an example, I was approaching the end of the day at work and needed to book a demonstration with someone. This requires a little salesmanship and I had been unsuccessful for the majority of the afternoon. 3pm, quitting time, roles around and I'm still stuck having not booked one demo. I talk to my manager and he says "well, let me know when you do" as if to indicate that my day wasn't complete until I booked the appointment. Click, little light on... It WASN'T over. I was getting ready to call it a day before that, and a small little nudge put me back in driver's mode. I got back to my desk and called a few prospects, and within 5 minutes I had booked a demonstration. Not only that, but it took less than a minute - normally this has taken me a half hour to book... I reported I'd booked the tour, and my manager said "great! Have a great afternoon".

The job wasn't complete until the goal was reached...

I don't know why, but all of a sudden I clued in, I'm not done yet. Not until Sunday evening when I cross that line. I got on the bus to go home and started imagining my race a little more. Picturing myself at the starting line of the swim, with a cast-free hand (although I can't remember what my left hand looks like anymore), getting set, and thinking about what I need to do in that moment. Also going though my checklist for the next week and ensuring I have time to get the supplies I need, and get the rest I need. I've kept my schedule pretty light this week, with a couple of barbecues and birthday celebrations to attend, but otherwise a fairly uneventful weekend.

And I have started to visualize my race. To plan out each section and rehearse it in my head. To set myself up for the perfect race, and to ensure that I have backups and emergency preparedness should I need it.

And tonight, I have my last run, hopefully, with my cast on... Tomorrow at 10am it will come off. I am filling myself with all the positive energy I can to make it happen. Tonight, I'll sleep with pins in my thumb for the last time. And then I'll work on making it healthy again, and try to get out to Sasamat for a swim on Sunday... What an amazing day that will be...

What more is there to be thankful for...

Wish you were here... The view from atop looks magnificiant.

No comments: