Tuesday, August 15, 2006

T-minus 12 and counting...

I'm slowly feeling in the groove as we get closer and closer to race day. I've consistently been getting a workout in since I took two days in a row off last week. Last night I threw in a 60 minute trainer ride and took things really easy. If my heart rate got about 135 then that happened for less than a minute. Keeping things loose and comfortable, and stretching out my arms in the process.

Afterwards, I grabbed the stretch cords and practiced my swimming technique. I don't think I'll ever get the full hang of them but they've been a good substitute to keep my shoulders used to the swimming technique at least. I can definitely sense that my shoulders will be quite stiff when I finally am able to go for a swim. I'm targetting a Sunday return to the water (all doctor's reports and procedures being positive, of course)...

In life, we have good days and bad days. Some days you win, some days you lose, some days... it rains. I have had my share of both, and I'm spending most of my time refocusing on the positive, and making some steps each day to get mentally ready for the next week.

Ironcops has us pretty busy come race week, which isn't all bad actually. We are supposed to do a group ride on Thursday at 10am, which I will probably miss as I'm leaving that morning from Vancouver. Thursday night is also a concert in the park which I missed four years ago. I think I'll go this year just to soak things in a bit. I have some lawn chairs that I can chill on too. Friday, we have the underpants run at 8am, photos with the team at 10am, and I have a 1.5 hr shift at the Subaru tent for Ironcops with Lisa Bentley being there (so it'll be busy). Friday also has the participants meeting and the carbo load dinner, which I may not attend as I have family and friends in town and this would be the best time to see them. Saturday is the Parade of Athlete's. So, between that, checking in, getting a couple of small workouts in, and checking my bike on Saturday, I've got a bit of a schedule going! I don't mind right now. I like feeling a little busy and it will keep me from wondering "what to do" half the time. On Monday is when the real fun begins...

Monday I have a massage at 11am, then the awards dinner in the evening, with an Ironcops pub party after. Tuesday at noon we're meeting to float down the canal, and then another get together in the evening. On Wednesday, I will be driving home and hitting work in the afternoon.

So far I've hit the $3,000 mark in my fundraising. I am anticipating another $900 or so which would be great, but I still want to get some more in before the 20th, when we cut off the fundraising for this year. It would be great to be above $4000 going into the weekend, as I could really feel like I accomplished something for the team as well as myself.

Tonight I'm running about 6k, and then hitting the stretch cords again. Nice and easy, almost informal... And yet it all has purpose and flow as we hit t-minus 12 days... And 2 nights of sleep until the cast comes off (okay, I'm willing it to happen)...

No comments: