Tuesday, November 21, 2006

No winter races for me...

I decided to forego the usual race lineup this winter. The Fall Classic 10k, First Half Half Marathon, and a possible winter marathon were all on my radar as possibilities as I head into next year.

I have determined, instead, to keep it simple and plan on 3 races for the upcoming year. The March UBC Triathlon is the first on the horizon. I plan on doing the Olympic Distance. It's usually a race that has pretty nasty weather associated with it, but I also view it as a bit of a benchmark to the season ahead, and a way to get the idea of "race readiness" in my thoughts early. Plus, it's relatively harmless as an Olympic distance race and I can begin to practice my transitions, etc.
After that, it's the Oliver Half Ironman in June. This will be the main measuring stick for the summer's Ironman preparation. Getting the Half Ironman in early (2 months + prior to Ironman) allows me to make any adjustments I need to and also gives me another indicator of where I am heading into August.

Two prime concerns for the 2007 season have become time and money. I plan on taking courses in 2007 which is going to tax both resources to the maximum, so I plan on being quite frugal. They say the busier you are, the more you get accomplished as you tend to have to plan your life more rigidly... I hope this is the case...

No comments: