Monday, December 11, 2006

Cold FX season.

One big new purchase this weekend... An Elite Fluid Trainer from Speed Theory. I had heard about the trainer from a guy I ran into while swimming last week - I guess I should say "swam into" - so I decided to go and check it out for myself. Being on a "hand-me-down" Tacx trainer for the past 5 years, I have been interested in seeing if I was unnecessarily making things difficult for myself.

So, I bought the Elite and tried it out for the first time on a 90 minute indoor trainer ride Saturday morning. I won't completely say it was the trainer, but that 90 minutes has never felt so effortless on an indoor trainer. My heart rate and everything were in the normal ranges I wanted to train at (between 130-140 bpm) for a longer ride, but I was able to switch gears and get a better "feel" while spinning. Maybe my engine is just getting stronger.....

Last week was, most certainly, a week of Christmas celebrations, as I did not have one night where I wasn't out and having a few drinks. Add further punishment to this and I now have a slight cold and sore throat, something I had managed to avoid for the past few months. So, I'm onto the Cold FX remedy and loading up on the Vitamin C.

I am going to a Christmas concert tonight but I still plan on trying to get in a 45 minute trainer ride, with 45 minutes of weights and stretching after. I have created a new competitor for myself... Last year's "me"... I am taking my training schedule and plan from last year and asking myself to work harder than "my last year's self". I figure if I am ahead of last year's "me" then I am establishing a competitive edge over "my" last year's fitness... Right? Make sense?

Probably, until I start talking to myself.

No comments: