Thursday, February 15, 2007

"As an artist, it is central to be unsatisfied! This isn't greed, though it be appetite." - Lawrence Galgagno...

Yeah, I would say that I am living in the world of the "unsatisfied" when it comes to my work these days. And I'll preface this by saying that I am completely happy, though in a delusional sort of "not-enough-sleep-to-think-straight" kind of way...

Today I had my life-drawing "exam" where I spent 2 1/2 hours drawing a nude in various poses. After 7 weeks of practice, I figured I would at least be competent enough to get the basics of form down and make a person look realistic on paper. Of course, practice and exam are two separate challenges, and the "exam" caused me to become unduly anxious, overthink my form and structure, and try to perfect things that I had not been able to perfect, instead of finding my strengths and simple elements and components and work from there. You see, a human body is really a series of structural elements that make it up. Ellipses, squares, etc. all help form the human body... And I over-complicated it today in an effort to pass a test...

Does that sound familiar? Like, say, for a RACE?

Yeah, the parallels I am finding between racing and training to be an artist are too eerily connected.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony,
I am so proud of you for going back to school! I always thought you were creative, but WOW! If you are interested, I have some art I'd like to share with you. Plus, I'd love to just catch up.
-Jennifer Griggs

Anthony Epp said...

Thanks Jennifer! Hope you're doing well in Indiana!