Thursday, February 22, 2007

And the end of term one... more planning needed

Today is the first day where I wake up without an assignment due, a class to attend, or an exam...

I never realized school would be, well, school... My head is filled with art and creative clumps of gibberish that are mangled and mixed within a sea of responsibilities, like work, training, the social life outside of school, and so on...

But, for the moment, my head is above water, and I can assess the damage :)... The main source of damage has remarkably not been a drop in health, as I managed to stare down the colds and flu that permeated throughout campus in the past 2 weeks. But the real damage has been Ironman training. No way to avoid the truth, here, but I would say I'm about at half-speed on training...

And in case I'm still not convinced, I have a race in 2 weeks, the Olympic tri at UBC, and I haven't ridden 40k in 2 weeks... Not a great sign. Looks like I'll be using this "downtime" to kickstart things. I think next week needs to be a "shocker" week. Just a week of consistent workouts, regardless of how much time or how intense they are, just to get the juices going again.

But I remain undeterred. I am still thinking I can do the Ironman again this year. I simply have to focus on the Half Ironman in June in 3 1/2 months and get myself ready for that. If I can do that, then I can take on the summer in stride.

By these accounts, I can look at the past term as a testing ground to see what was going to be expected of me. I learned that there is a lot of work, and the key is to just stay on top of it.

Tough? Yes. But it's never boring.

No comments: