Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Leg burning...

Last night I was out on our tempo ride with Dean and the Tri One crew... At least, the Vancouver contingent of it, since many of Dean's clients are on the North Shore... We had Steve and Walter out there, and Dean, who is quite a good cyclist. He can dart forward and back to catch up with all of us on a whim, it seems.

In my athletic career, I started out chasing people while training for a marathon. There were always a few people faster than me, and it made it a little easier, because I always had someone to try to get as fast as. As I improved, I started to realize that I was the guy that people were chasing. At that point, I felt that I needed to change groups, and find a group that I still couldn't quite keep up with.

The reason that I write that is that I am glad I've found that group with cycling. I'm not too proud to admit that Walter and Steve, the other two in our Monday night bike crew, are much better as cyclists than I am. In fact, it is almost ridiculous how MUCH better they are. The comfort I have is knowing that both of them have been cycling for years and, to be honest, my cycling started in 2002, and I barely did any from 2003 to 2005.

Riding with this group, I feel as though I have something to aim towards. I need to get stronger and more efficient as a cyclist, as the effort level that I put into my riding seems quite over-excessive for the results I get, when compared to them. In running, it's like watching someone who looks like running is effortless. In swimming, well, you can tell the difference right away from a swimmer to a guy who has the form down, but not the fluidity of experience.

While I am at the back of the pack in this group, the drive to get to the front of the pack will motivate me even further. It did last night. I pushed my heart rate at 165-170 bpm, which is not usual for me on a bike, and represents about 80% of my maximum. I pushed it for a good 35 minutes.

My legs felt quite tired when I started the ride last night, having ridden for over 5 hours on Sunday and still in recovery from the marathon. Dean, of course, was not very consiliatory. "I told you not to run hard. You said 'I'll take it easy and try for 3:30' but you went out at a 3:10 pace." Point taken. I'm paying for it still...

Today, though, my legs feel great. I almost feel like I had the opportunity, with a harder ride, to flush out the "bad legs". I feel more energized than I have in a week.

Vince forwarded me this article on lactic acid, and the mythology surrounding its "demonization."
It is an interesting article...
The yoga plan is off and running. I tried it yesterday morning and I felt quite wasted afterwards and for most of the day. But, I attribute that to the first day, and still having the remnants of a "too hard" marathon.
Tonight, I'm going to try a one hour run for the first time since the race, and then I have a date with an "easy" 3000 meter swim workout at Vancouver Aquatic Center. That should get me to 10pm and just in time for bed... I can't wait until next week, when the outdoor pools open at Kits and 2nd Beach!
Yesterday's workout:
Bike: 2 hours (with 2 15-20 minute tempo rides at 80% of my maximum HR).
Yoga: 1 1/2 hours of power yoga... I slept like a baby!

No comments: