Monday, May 15, 2006

The Wisdom of Yogi Berra...


Yogi Berra, one of the all time best catchers for the New York Yankees, also has some profound stories and quotes... Last Friday Yogi Berra turned 81 years old. I came across this one today:

Yogi went to a pizza parlor and ordered a large pie...

The man behind the counter asked if he wanted cut into 8 slices or 4....

"Yogi replied, "Better make it 4... I don't think I could eat 8"

As a running coach for the past 5 year I have learned a lot of valuable lessons in teaching the basic facets of running a marathon... I think, as my experience grows in the Ironman, my own philosophy comes more and more down to this mantra:

Make things easier to to accomplish... Don't we gain confidence from completing tasks and getting things done?

Now, I see the idea... Make smaller pieces and you can make it easier? Well, true, but then you have to think about 7 more pieces. However, if you just think about the Ironman as "Swim, Bike and Run", then the rest of the details work themselves out. It's a pretty simple game when it comes down to it. You swim, then you bike, then you run. Figure out how to do each one and you can do the Ironman. Become really good at one of those three and you might win the Ironman.

From another baseball story, Bull Durham... "This is a simple game... You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball..."

So, the next time you are faced with a big race situation, long ride, or a major workout session...

Cut it into 4's....it's easier than 8's.

No comments: