Thursday, July 27, 2006

Eating crow...

Floyd Landis has now allegedly tested positive for drugs after winning the Tour de France... I'll say all of this is alleged so I don't want to cast accusations, but I did feel it warranted my own little take.

I was cheering for Landis this year... Good, humble, understated guy who just seemed to work hard and was dealing with hip arthritis. Hard not to cheer for him. Add to that his Mennonite background and I felt like I was cheering for one of my own (like Cindy Klassen).

So, if it is all true, then I'm disappointed. Not shattered or disillusioned, because I know the likelihood of cyclists in the Tour doing some type of performance-enhancement is pretty high... Just disappointed because you want to believe that someone has accomplished this great feet and comeback legitimately. I still do.

But if it is all true, then Landis should be held as an example, and scrutinized and punished for his actions. I would want people, competitors and all of us in general, to see that you can't cut corners. That the short term gain will cost you more long term. The consequences need to be deep.

I wish Landis no ill will, mind you. I hope he comes through this okay and moves on, but his legacy is definitely tainted (again, if all of this is true). Hero's are hero's because they accomplish amazing things but also because of the integrity and honesty in which they achieve those amazing feets. I don't care about winning and losing, I care about the spirit and enthusiasm that someone brings to their passion. It's probably why I am inspired by people in my marathon clinic, who work hard to finish the race, leaving everything that they have out on the course. None of us ever win anything except an occasional age group title, but I am not impressed by that in so much as how that person is in their attitude, their passion for the sport, their treatment of others, and their desire to give back.

So, that's why Landis' recent test results are disappointing, more than anything. I liked his attitude, approach, guts and motivations... All that now seems a little blemished now.

Off to Edmonton for training camp... Earn your place at the starting line, that's all I have to say. Be true to the sport!

No comments: