Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Doing a little nutrition experimenting...

I have been off for about 3 days now. Much of this has been self-imposed but I am also suffering a little from a flu bug that hit me last week and is only now beginning to subside.

In lieu of training, I went and bought the book, "The Paleo Diet for Athletes", and decided that it's high time I became a more informed athlete regarding my nutrition. I can no longer plead ignorance to this very important aspect of training, so I'm immersing myself in the book with the intent of making some very significant changes to my nutrition and, thus, my life.

Tonight, after 3 days off, I have done a "sedentary" weigh in, which gives me my weight on complete recovery. This is a baseline for me to use as I determine my water intake, sweat rate, etc. during prolonged exercise. This I see as integral to developing a strong plan heading forward. So, what was my weight today? 166 lbs. Not big by any stretch, and I'm glad I'm not up to the 175 that I was at this time last year, even though my activity level has been so much lower.

I'll post more about some of the nutrition insights I am getting from the reading and my discussions with some authorities. Right now I am fascinated by the relationship that has all of a sudden become so "clear" to me between the food I take in and how my body is able to perform based on the food. I "know" this logically, but in practical purposes food is, I realize, much more about pleasure to me than it is about producing peak results. Have I been holding back all this time?

In further fleshing this out, I get this overriding sense that I need to make this change, because I have a feeling that if I don't, I will forever ask myself "what could you have done?" and I don't want to ask that question because of my inability to do something very simple like produce an epic diet program to produce epic Ironman results.

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

Anthony,

I just came across your blog and love it. Recently I have set some new goals and have been trying to absorb all the info that I can. Reading everything that I can get my hands on at this point.

Looking forward to more nutritional insight on what you uncover.

Robin