Friday, October 20, 2006

"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."
Maya Angelou

My first foray into the nutritional life change is the addition of the "smoothie"... I have started with a series of frozen berries and bananas in a blender, with 2 scoops of protein powder to get going. In my research, I've discovered that, during the preparation period, which I am about to enter in my training program for the year, it's best to gear the ratio's more and more towards higher protein and less carbohydrates. It's also good to actually increase the fat - good fats, of course - percentage, as what I am trying to do is train my body to choose fat for fuel more often and spare the carbohydrates. As my training intensity increases during the spring and summer, I'll be gearing towards the carbohydrates more, but I still want to be training my body to hit the fat stores first...

Ah the wonders of science....

Every day I feel I learn something, and the real joy for me comes in taking something new and finding a way to use it to enhance my fitness and, eventually, performance. I am trying a whole new nutrition plan... Actually, I am really trying a "plan" for the first time in my life. I realistically know that there is no doubt my performance will get better and I will get stronger. After all, increasing my awareness of the food I intake is not disimilar to actually having a training program versus no program... You will automatically improve if you stick to it.

No comments: